striper fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

striper fishing

Postby deswolf007 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 pm

hey larry
I was wondering what lures and baits you would recommend for big stripers? I have have caught many stripers up to 30 pounds and a few over 30 pounds. I usally use 5 to 6 inch swim baits and big shad. I have tried big lures but with limited sucess and made a few with limited sucess. I fish at least once a week and I usally am able to catch stripers but not able to repeat catching big stripers. Do you have any suggestions? I fish in fresh water lake and rivers. I love your show and how informative it is.
deswolf007

Re: striper fishing

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:51 am

Hi d
You've spent more time than me chasing them, but I might suggest that when it comes to large baits, as my friend Doug Hannon pointed out years ago, the larger a lure is, the easier it is for a fish to tell it's artificialness.
Stripers eat like Prader Willi victims but like all fish when a specifc food source is highly abundant they can get pretty selective. Might want to keep a close eye on what they're actually eating most of the time.
As you've no doubt noticed they have distinct feeding movements in lakes and reservoirs where they'll travel in a school, sometimes great distances chasing prey. I'd guess your non-repeatabilty problems may stem from that. i.e., by the time you've got yours landed the other guys may be elsewhere.
The ultimate reality check is always live bait. Try bridling your bait, use the lightest line and hooks you can get away with, and be very quiet and sneaky! Also, one good fresh strong livie is better than 50 half dead ones.
Anyone else in cyber space care to weigh in?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Geddy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:16 pm

D, I fish more in saltwater than fresh for them, but I have done alright in some rivers too! My experience with big artificials has only been successful when trolling them, 2-4knots depending on their mood. As for live bait, get your hands on some good old American Eels if you can. The bigger the better- big fish love them and the little ones only seem to bump them. You can drift them on a three way like walleye fishing or use ann egg sinker or fish finder if anchored or still. I have some friends ready for strait-jackets from chasing the cows. Geddy
Geddy

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:44 am

[quote="Geddy"]D, I fish more in saltwater than fresh for them, but I have done alright in some rivers too! My experience with big artificials has only been successful when trolling them, 2-4knots depending on their mood. As for live bait, get your hands on some good old American Eels if you can. The bigger the better- big fish love them and the little ones only seem to bump them. You can drift them on a three way like walleye fishing or use ann egg sinker or fish finder if anchored or still. I have some friends ready for strait-jackets from chasing the cows. Geddy[/quote]

Hi Geddy,
Thanks for weighing in.
I've been hearing some great things from saltwater striper fisherman regarding an eel lure made by Z-Man. Have your heard of or tried it?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Geddy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:33 pm

There are a couple of new ones out. If the one you are talking about has kind of flattened jig head in front I know it and like it. My only drawback regarding it is when used in saltwater conditions the bluefish find it first and replacing the plastic gets costly. This is also true of the live eels. I would definately troll one in a river by a creek mouth. Geddy
Geddy

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:24 am

[quote="Geddy"]There are a couple of new ones out. If the one you are talking about has kind of flattened jig head in front I know it and like it. My only drawback regarding it is when used in saltwater conditions the bluefish find it first and replacing the plastic gets costly. This is also true of the live eels. I would definately troll one in a river by a creek mouth. Geddy[/quote]

The one I'm talking is so tough a human cannot bite a hunk out of one. I tried and almost unhinged my jaw!
It's really soft, but so tough you cannot even screw one of those cork screw deals into the nose. The wire bends.
Not sure what the eel is called but I know it's made by a company in Charleston called Z-Man.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Geddy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Larry, if I can get one, I will put it through the trials and weigh in. Geddy
Geddy

Postby deswolf007 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am

I really appreciate the input and will see if any of these methods work.
deswolf007

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for weighing in, and do keep us posted with your results, or lack of...
I'm so intrigued by the Z-man stuff I'm taking a 5am red-eye in and out to visit the factory next week end. This Z-lastic stuff is simply incredible. About a 5 shore hardness (very, very soft) and tuffer than the mudflap on a mack truck. Hoping they can commercially make Mr Whiggley out it and another "top-secret" I've had tucked away for around 25 years that I'm not showing ANYBODY who doesn't sign a non-disclosure agreement in blood until the patent is issued. If you are a bass angler, when you see it, I absolutely guarantee, it will ASTOUND you!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions