MUSKY VS NORTHERN

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

MUSKY VS NORTHERN

Postby Geddy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:47 pm

LARRY, I AM RETURNING THIS SPRING TO A SOUTHERN ONTARIO LAKE FOR THE OPENING OF MUSKY SEASON. THIS LAKE USED TO BE DOMINATED BY MUSKY, HOWEVER, I HAVE LEARNED THAT IN THE LAST 15 YEARS OR SO PIKE HAVE TAKEN HOLD AND FLOURISHED.WE CAUGHT A FEW MUSKY LAST YEAR BUT THE PIKE DOMINATED. ANY IDEAS HOW TO BETTER MY ODDS WITH THE MUSKY? IS NIGHTIME WORTH THE EFFORT,IF SO WHAT TECHNIQUES? THANKS GEDDY
Geddy

Re: MUSKY VS NORTHERN

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:14 am

Hi g
Great question. Biologically muskies and pike fill the same niche and are thus at odds with each other. Most disturbing to those of us who love muskies and could take or leave northerns is that in the long run northerns have the edge. This is especially true in waters that have limited spawning habitat and they use the same nursery.

The reason is that northerns spawn two weeks or more before muskies do. The baby pike get enough of a head start that they are capable of eating the freshly hatched muskies. Nasty!
As far as night fishing, it's usually the answer in situations where fishing pressure and/or heavy boat traffic has effected the game. Topwater, bulged bucktails like the big cowgirls are top choices.
You can certainly try fishing all day AND all night, but in light of a 15 year decline, I'd suggest picking a new lake!

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: MUSKY VS NORTHERN

Postby Geddy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Larry, thanks for the helpful answer, that makes total sense. Unfortunately we are booked already this spring. I'll give it my best.
Geddy

Return to Freshwater Questions