Old time flyfisherman wants to learn other ways

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Old time flyfisherman wants to learn other ways

Postby fishwood75 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 pm

I learned about fishin' backwards from most people. I started out fly fishing for trout before I ever tried any other method. Now I want to learn about 'other' methods. Mostly interested in going for big cats, pike, and muskies. I live in central Pennsylvania and want to gear up without breaking the bank. I know the buy the best you can afford method is the way to go. What would be the best all round setup for big fish in my area? Which rods, reels, lines, lures should I be on the lookout for? I know this is alot to ask but the only way to learn is to ask. I guide for trout on the Little Juniata and have caught some big trout and want to size up and go for some other kinds of fish. I'm not a snob and am open to any methods including bait. fishwood75 from Altoona Pa.
fishwood75

Re: Old time flyfisherman wants to learn other ways

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 am

hi fw
I'd suggest a curado 300E for pike and ski's, and I would double for cats too. As far as rods one of the med or med heavy 7 to 7 1/2 footers in any of the musky series will do double duty as well.
Load it with 65# braid.
I say more power to you. I know lots of guys who start and stay on trout or one other species or method all their lives even though there are a bunch of other very cool species within easy reach. They remain "weenies" to the grave.
I applaud you efforts, and I'll help you out any way I can. Hopefully will be more prompt in answering you future questions than I was you last, sorry!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby fishwood75 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Larry Thanks for your response. I already went and bought a Curado 300 and am looking at the St Croix Muskie rods. Apparently the Alegheny river impound is good for both Pike and Skis. I'll be out at first ice out. If you ever feel like fly fishing for trout in the best water in Pennsylvania let me know.

Patrick
fishwood75

Postby young_gun » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:08 am

Rmeber in your adventures if your looking to up your size don't be afraid to try large lures for skies and large pike. Here in the great lakes it's not uncommon for me to throw a 10 so 12 inch swim bait for these monsters.
good luck on the pike and skies

$young_gun$
$young_gun$
young_gun

Return to Freshwater Questions