PA Tailwater Muskies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

PA Tailwater Muskies

Postby Jeff Shrek » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Hey Larry,

Just want to say I love the show and I try to catch every episode. Keep up the excellent work.

I fish a tailrace section of a local dam here in south western Pennsylvania that is fairly small (i can cast bank to bank in some sections). It's too small for boat traffic, but it has both tiger muskies and muskies. I try to fish it when the outflow permits fishing close to the dam. There are a few deep pools and some very small rocky islands with most of the stream being rock bottom. I was wondering if, in your opinion, these muskies would be holding closer to the dam or in cover farther downstream? Also, if you could reccomend me a couple search lures, what would they be?

Last year i was throwing a 7 inch bucktail for muskie and I caught a 22 inch largemouth bass that apparently never saw something as sexy as that. The muskie are making me scratch my head though.

thanks for your time,

Jeff Shrek
Jeff Shrek

Re: PA Tailwater Muskies

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Hey J
The muskies will inhabit all the pools large enough, or more likely enough cover to have larger baitfish (suckers etc.) and let them feel secure. Depending on the relative size of the washout hole below the dam it may or may not be the best or one and only spot. They might even cruise from pocket to pocket flushing larger bait up and down the stream.
Usually on a broad view you want to focus on areas above or below changes in vertical drop, confluences, areas with lots of hairpin corners etc.
Often areas adjacent to current are key. They are not always in slack water.
Zig zag type lures both on and below the surface are fun, and good. Fish then either at a down stream angle or "swinging" quartering type retrieve.
Obviously, they'll bite anything they bite anywhere else as long as it doesn't get hung up.
YOU CAN'T BE TOO SNEAKY!!
Best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: PA Tailwater Muskies

Postby Jeff Shrek » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Larry,

Thanks a million! Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and I hope to see your show on for years to come.

Take Care,

Jeff Shrek
Jeff Shrek

Return to Freshwater Questions