mexico bass/LA reds episode question

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

mexico bass/LA reds episode question

Postby hizzoner » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Mr. Dahlberg;
Which rods and other associated gear were you guys using with the new curado reels in Mexico?(saw one with cork and one black foam)
What size curado is good for bass?

Looking for a good all around baitcasting setup for upper midwest bass..love my curado/terramar setup for bigger species..

Thanks....

Mark Barry
hizzoner

Re: mexico bass/LA reds episode question

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:19 pm

The black foam handled rods were Shimano Cumara rods. The new 200E7 and E5 are perfect bass size baitcasters. I enjoy my 200E7 for bass and snook fishing. It is lighter than my 200D and as small or smaller than my 100D Curado's. I dont find the newer model as physically rugged in appearance but it certainly is rugged in its on right. I dont find it to cast as far though. In all I am disappointed not in the new reel but that Shimano would have felt forced to change a perfectly good and recently introduced model because of a bunch of whining bass fisherman who wont hold a reel one ounce heavier. The 200D was a magnificent snook and red fishing reel.
Henry Schmidt

Re: mexico bass/LA reds episode question

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:27 am

Hi Mark
We were using primarily the Cumara rods in 7'2" length. Although the models we were using were I believe designed for drop shotting or worming, I absolutely love them for casting cranks, topwater, vibrating baits etc. The transition from the tip to the mid-section is really smooth so they're very forgiving and also extremely accurate.
In terms of a reel, if you had to pick just one, I'd suggest the 200E7.
It's got a blazing retrieve speed, but that does not mean you also cannot reel it very slowly if the situation dictates!
I used it extensively on hard to pull crank baits and unlike many high speed reels it was not tiring to crank at all. Same is true when yanking on larger fish. Some high speed reels feel like they sort of "lock-up" when you're trying to crank down quickly under heavy pressure at the top of your initial hookset. The 200E7's are as smooth as silk and exhibited none of the negatives I've experienced with similar design attempts by other manufacturers who will go un-named.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions