Hard water Channel Cats

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Hard water Channel Cats

Postby Outdoors4life » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:07 pm

http://www.nt-fishing.com/forum/viewthr ... ead_id=140

I wish I could post pics here but since I can't I would like to invite you to see the report I put up about fishing for catfish on ice.

We also made a video on how to catch Channel cats through the ice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AQsAVF-J7Y

Aaron
Outdoors4life

Re: Hard water Channel Cats

Postby dahlberg » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 am

Hi OD4L
Got a kick out of your video. Thanks for the post.
Doug Stange wil be jealous! I want to see you doing if from a bridge...
Curious if they taste differently in winter? Also, I'm curious as to what other species are in the water you'
re fishing.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Outdoors4life » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Larry,

As with any of the MN fishes I feel they taste better in the cooler water. These cats were not from the cleanest waters but they were good. Of the 30 or so we caught that day only 3 were kept. This was my first time catching hardwater cats so I asked my buddy who invited me up there to do a little demonstration on how he targets them. Most other guys who do this use jigging spoons with trebles but as "Fins" said in the video it is just 3 more hooks to get out. Very few of our fish hooked got off so no need for 3 when 1 hook works that well. Non-Traditional fishing is my site I have been working on and is an obsession/passion of mine and my friends. We target fish that no one else cares about and target fish that everyone does but sometimes from another angle. Right now a couple of us are trying to target carp through the ice and that is a very tough task. I love to be given a challenge that is said to be impossible and prove to them that as a fishing whole we have so much to learn!

I am not a person to be star struck or call anyone a "Fishing God" but I do put you up at the top of accomplished fishermen. I have gotten inspiration from your shows with you targeting all sorts of species around the world. While I do not have the funds to travel much further than Lake Superior or down to Clear Lake Iowa I feel fortunate to live in such a species rich fishery. I have documented about 43 freshwater fish that I have caught in the Midwest. Someday I hope to travel and tackle saltwater species and watch them slip away back into the water. That is my favorite part of fishing!

Thank you for living your dream and inspiring me to go after mine.

Someday I would love the opportunity to wet a line and shoot the breeze with you.

Aaron
Outdoors4life

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 am

Hi A
Thanks for the nice post, kind words and sharing your info.
I've been really lucky to fish lots of different places and species, but still like fishing in the backyard where I grew up for the species I was first introduced to the best. Believe me, when Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz said, "there's no place like home", she couldn't have been more right! (Especially if home is half as nice as it is around here in MN and Wis!)
The opportunity to wet a line together would be my priveledge!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Outdoors4life » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:21 pm

[quote="dahlberg"] Believe me, when Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz said, "there's no place like home", she couldn't have been more right! (Especially if home is half as nice as it is around here in MN and Wis!) [/quote]

You said it Larry!
I was raised in Stillwater and Recently bought my first house that looks over the St. Croix on the south end of town and I feel privileged to wake up and see my favorite body of water every day out of my bedroom window!

I would feel it would be my honor to fish with you someday. If you would like to it would happen. It would be neat to fish the Croix with you for any species in that species rich river! If you would like to figure out a time my email is aaronbye81@msn.com

Also I got the chance to chase Blue cats down in Missouri on February 19th. A buddy called me up and said it would be under $500 each and even less if a third came with. Three of us Minnesotans are heading down to the Lake of the Ozarks area.

Aaron
Outdoors4life

Return to Freshwater Questions