catfish

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

catfish

Postby miguel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Dear Lary,ive been fishing for catfish in very muddy water,but i only catch small ones (about a foot long).There are bigger catfish at the end of the pier,but its always occupied.Where do I catch a big catfish(4or 5 feet) p.s.im a kid(13) and i cant cast realy far.
miguel

Re: catfish

Postby dahlberg » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:36 am

Hi M,
If you want the best place on the pier, you've got to get there first!
If you are looking for larger fish in shallow water, usually your chances are best at night, or in the daytime if the water is at a very high stage. If you are targeting large fish specifically you might want to stick to large bait. Like a whole fish that's at least a pound. That way the bait is large enough to keep the small ones off, plus attract the attention of a big one.
Also if you know a place where water is rushing in to the main river, like from a swollen creek or even a pumping station, you might find them there at any time.
Be careful so you don't get pulled in!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby miguel » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:42 pm

dear larry,i found a narrow creek (about25 meters long) that leads into the main river.There is no moving water,is that a place to catch a big one?
miguel

Postby dahlberg » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi M
Not likely, unless after a downpouring rain, but you never know. Especially at night.
Only the fish can tell you for sure!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions