Rare Opportunity in mid November!

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Rare Opportunity in mid November!

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:25 am

I once posted a topic on this forum about a lake near my home that has drastic water level changes from season to season and the opportunities that it presents when the water level changes. This year is no different. The lake is mostly used for recreation boating. But for a few anglers that have taken the time to figure out how to catch fish there, the rewards can well outweigh the work. Earlier this spring we were catching Walleye at 18 - 25" and smallmouth 4+lbs at the top of the main boat ramp on the lake. The Walleye were mostly coming off of a steep bank covered in large boulders. Most after dark, and all under the glow of a bright light.

Now, 6 months later, the lake has dropped farther than I have ever seen. the walk to the water is at least 100 yards farther than before. The lake level has dropped, in my estimation, at least 30 feet! There once was a town near where the center of lake now lies that has once again been exposed! No buildings stand, but sidewalks, old roadbeds, and treestumps mark the once quiet streets of yesterday. An old bridge that crossed the river that created the lake is where the water level now lies. An uncle of mine walked down to the bridge last week and managed to catch 15 smallmouth in 5 hours of fishing! Quite a stretch for November! Just the other night My uncle and I walked down to the same bridge a few hours ahead of a cold front and figured on trying our luck. The old bridge is still surrounded by at least 20 feet of water, and on the opposite side of the span, it begins to dip under the water again. By running spinnerbaits along the walls near the bottom, we managed to pull out 5 smallmouth total in just under 2hrs fishing, At Night! We returned a few days later, and pulled out a few more, and a fellow angler wrestled in a very large walleye tricked into biting a rapala. Looking back at the now completely dry, rocky bank where I had been catching walleye earlier this year was nearly unbelievable! Don't give up just because it's getting cold, you never know what may happen!
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Re: Rare Opportunity in mid November!

Postby dahlberg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:09 am

Amen!
Thanks for sharing your info.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg