Cat fish

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Cat fish

Postby fishingman64 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:39 pm

I've recently been getting into catfishing. I have got 2 10 pounders over the last few days on worms while fishing for carp. The pond i fish is about 50 acres and has no structure. There is a sandy bay and a channel both on opposite sides of the lake. It is man made and is shaped kind of like a bowl with a max depth of 7 ft. Where do you think I should look for the cats? Should I continue using worms? I've tried small stripers and bluegills with no luck yet. Thanks.
Tyler
Tyler
fishingman64

Re: Cat fish

Postby Anders » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:58 pm

if this is a place you fish a lot, you should start feeding the cats in one area. Cats are very trainable. You should use something small that both blue gill can eat as well as others fish, like pellets. If you dont like that i would fish the drop offs in the evenings, cats like to move into the shallows at night to hunt, they stage on the edges before night. You can also look for any place that has current. My buddy used to feed bread at this one spot. Soon he got tired of tearing the bread up and just stated throwing whole pieces balled up. The catfish started swallowing the balls hole!

goodluck
Anders
I fish for it all
Anders

Re: Cat fish

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:23 pm

In a pond such as you describe the fish cruise around and around searching for food. That's why baiting them with almost anything is so effective. They'll stay where the food is until it's gone!
The most consistent spot is usually next to the deepest water and steepest drop, or if there's some kind of cover like a fallen tree etc.
Using some form of larger bait will likely increase your odds of a bigger fish if only that it reduces the likelyhood of a smaller fish getting it first!
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions