smallies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

smallies

Postby finney » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:01 pm

Larry,
Love the show.
A buddy and myself have fished the upper st croix north of Grantsburg , starting at Nelson's and drifting down to the highway 70 bridge. We have been doing this for the past five years, and our learning curve has slowly gone up. My question is, we have started to hit a wall in the amount of fish caught(all fish, even the eye's, are returned to the river) using just top water or shallow running cranks. We have always assumed that this part of the river was either to shallow or to fast to allow tube style/soft plastic type of fishing.
I know this is your "boyhood backyard" in terms of fishing, so any suggestions in other types of lures would be very helpful in trying to increase our fishing experience.
finney

Re: smallies

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:08 am

I've caught 'em on everything frow 1/16 oz jigs to 3/4 oz crankbaits and in deep logs, shallow logs, deep rock, shallw rock, weeds, clay, fast water, still water, etc. etc.
The lure you use should depend as much on the specific spot and the fish you are chasing. There are so many different ways I would take a 300 page book to explain them!
Best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions