Where are the really big one

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Where are the really big one

Postby arctic angler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:05 am

Greetings Larry
I live on the shores of Great Slave Lake, Northwest territories,Canada.I am always chasing those big pike( anything over 40 inches). In early summer (June 5th-20) most of the pike are in shallow bays, we are hooking onto 40-45 inch fish in the shallows.Does that mean that bigger fish are holding near by the first drop-off? or where should i fish for them. I have seen some big monsters( 50 inches and over) cruising by at times, but cannot find them consistently.

Yours in Northern Pike fishing

Arctic Angler
arctic angler

Re: Where are the really big one

Postby dahlberg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:25 pm

find the bays with big whitefish and suckers cruising. At your latitude the big ones should be pretty shallow most of the year, depending on what kind of area you are fishing. Late aft into past midnight is often the key. Find the bays adjacent to the main lake basins with warm water. Look for specific areas within the bay where the warmest water gathers.
spend time just looking with you eyeballs and a good pair of polarized glasses. You might spook them the first time in, but after you've got them located be sneaky when you approach the biggest ones. sometimes it doesn't matter, but it's always a good rule.
some times a fly. jig and pig or neutrally weighted lure is all they will bite. At other times they'll eat your shoe.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Where are the really big one

Postby RWSchmitz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:51 am

Hey Arctic Angler I fish the Taltson River for the last 5 years and I too can't find the big boys, lots of 41" - 45" pike but not a lot of 48" plus fish. EMAIL ME AT richard.schmitz@sbcglobal.net I would like to talk with you about the pike on GREAT SLAVE LAKE.
RWSchmitz

Return to Freshwater Questions