Boundary Waters fly fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Boundary Waters fly fishing

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:20 am

Larry,
I've got a place right on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) in northern minnesota, and ive found it more than a little difficult to fly cast from a canoe. Are there any techniques you can suggest, and have you done in fishing in the BW? The area doesn't seem to cater too much to fly fishermen...
Drew
Drew

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:35 am

Hi Drew,
Although I've not been there since the big storm, I've been fishing the bwca since I was in my early teens and have had mornings when I've caught over 50 four-pound-plus smallies on flies before noon! Actually it's one of my favorite places.
If you have a good efficient stroke casting from a canoe is not a problem at all. If you use lots of body english it can be a problem.
Keep your elbow in and low, lift the line from the water before you snatch the fly from the surface, and learn to double haul. A good clean line makes a big difference too. I use Armorall to keep mine slippery!
A good practice exercise is to sit flat on the ground, on your butt, and work on making one false cast where you shoot several feet on the back cast then release on your first stroke forward.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions