Comment on smallie fishing in Minnesota

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Comment on smallie fishing in Minnesota

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:03 pm

I got a sudden urge to try a stretch of the Mississippi that used to be pretty good for smallie fishing about 10 years ago. Got there after the long hiatus and found that it was fly fishing central. Guys with fancy waders, McKenzie boats, the whole schmear. I hardly knew what to think. Montana comes to Minnesota! There aren't many concentrations of warmwater fly fishermen in MN. This is one of them.

(Fortunately I caught some dandies before the other fishermen got there. Had a ball, watched for a while, then left. I may go back, but the fish are getting plenty educated there. The beauty of the situation is that it now looks like a good opportunity for the savvy bait fisherman to come in and do very well. I don't think the fish are educated in that discipline.)
Questor

Re: Comment on smallie fishing in Minnesota

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 pm

yea, I hear you. It's kind of cute how the trouters have invaded the smallmouth world and brought along all their stuff. I especially get a kick out of the high bow drift boats.
And yes, you're right about bait, but hopefully the baiters are using circle hooks.
regards,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions