Bull Gills?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Bull Gills?

Postby Questor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:35 am

Mr. Dahlberg:

Love them bluegills, especially the big ones. Can you give me a few pointers for finding them in the fall in Minnesota meso lakes?

To me, they are a most entrancing specie because they are so much fun to catch, and they turn up in unexpected places. This year I found a spot in the rapids of a well known medium size Minnesota river where the 'gills were mostly hump headed big ones and they were in there with the redhorse and the smallmouths. Last year some of the biggest ones I caught were in less than a foot of water among some rushes. It was mid July and the water temp there was, by my stream thermometer, 93 degrees. I think they were still spawning. They were concentrated there and I had a ball catching (and releasing) them.

Thanks!
Questor

Re: Bull Gills?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:46 am

Hi Q
Try texas rigging large angle worms or mid-sized crawlers with size 8 aberdeen hooks, 4# test and a light bullet sinker.
Fish lake structures like sunken humps etc. where the bottom transitions from hard to soft. Work the area from the base of the weedline all the way down to the secondary break. You might want to put a small shot of air in the tail of the worm.
YOu may be pleasantly surprised at the average size of the gills once you get on them.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Bull Gills?

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 pm

I like it!!! That's a really good idea. I'll give that a try.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions