Mahseer Fishing near Chiang Mai Thailand

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Mahseer Fishing near Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby blackmarketbaits » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Hey everyone and Larry,

I currently have this wild plan to live abroad and my first stop is Southeast Asia with the first Country to stay in for a few months being Thailand if all goes according to plan. I also plan to take advantage of any fishing in the areas I visit. Mahseer are on my hit list for southeast Asia and northern India when I get that far. I'm just curious if anyone on here has ever stayed or fished in the Chiang Mai area, and if so, are there any suitable streams or small rivers within close proximity? Info on the web is slim, I've gone to the point of looking on google maps as well. most fishing seems to be done in the far Northwest by the Malaysian border. Kind of a long shot, but you never know.
blackmarketbaits

Re: Mahseer Fishing near Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:22 am

As I learned long ago, the only way to find out is to go there and sniff around! You need to be smart about what you are looking for and be prepared for a wide variety of circumstances with a small variety of tackle! My experience in that part of the world is somewhat limited, but i know you need to get a distance from where the locals have very much access!
Good luck, be safe!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions