arctic char puzzle

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

arctic char puzzle

Postby blueback19 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 am

Larry:

Have you ever fished for Arctic char? Am preparing for a return to the northern most coast of Labrador. The icebreaker ferry ends its weekly run at the village of Nain Was there 3 years ago.

At this time of year the all silver char, liberated from the ice of the interior, chartge to the sea to gorge on capelin, etc. Our friends' Inuit relatives depend on these fish as a major part of their diet. They are not hard to catch and fight like hell.

Now the mystery. Leaving Nain and heading west in a fijord-like setting you proceed 50 miles to primitive cabins at a narrows. The char there don't go to sea and are already chaning to their brilliant spawning colors. And they are tough to catch! Had to switch to dry flies usually saved for Atlantic salmon to have some success.

Are these fish a subspecies? Nothing impedes them from going to sea. I know they aren't brook trout (I have those in my pond). What lures and flies might be more successful on these spooky char?

Incidentally about a mile offshore from Nain Harbour I had a seal, maybe 70 pounds, attack a 2/0 Orange Blossom Special. That was one wild catch and release.

Roger Keim
Bangor, Maine
Roger C. Keim
blueback19

Re: arctic char puzzle

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:42 am

HI R
Wow, very interesting. I have fished for char on the Tree river. Sounds like you've come apon a unique population which quite likely marches to the beat of their own drum. I'd guess they're a subspecies that's evolved to adapt to their unique environment.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions