BRAIDED LINE!!!! HELP!!!

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

BRAIDED LINE!!!! HELP!!!

Postby Big Game Fisherman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Larry,I have not had good experience in the past with braided lines,i tried spiderwire and it bit and dug in the spool. VERY FRUSTRATING! :evil: Do you think that Suffix Performance Braid will dig in itself!?
Big Game Fisherman

Postby Bionic » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Big Game I use braided line on almost all my setups. The newer reels
are designed to lay the line on to provent that from happening. I know
Larry is a big fan of the Suffix braid. I use Power Pro and have no problems
to speak of. I have used lines from 8lb to 65lb and love braid.
Just a side note I will use a short florucarbon leader most of the time
do to some species being a little shy.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby crazyted » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:41 am

i have to admit the suffix is worth the money i switched over from power pro. I have used spiderware also it seems just like more expensive power pro. The suffix has yet to flatten out and i have been using it for 3 months. normally my power pro would be all full of wind nots and backlashes after a few trips. I even used it to freeline a 2 lb live shad that kept swimming in circles. I wasnt paying attention and the line became extremely twisted and i mean extremely. my brother and I repacked the spool and removed the twists easily and used the same line for surf fishing the next weekend. Zero wind nots. zero backlashes. I am amazed.

sorry for hyjacking this thread but the line is nice.

try it you'll like it "or your money back"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ted
lets rip some lips

be a fisherman not a wisherman

Us young guns gotta pick up the slack in our generation!!!
crazyted

Re: BRAIDED LINE!!!! HELP!!!

Postby Mooncusser » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 am

I second the endorsement of the Sufix...I love the stuff...my only issue is I can't use my teeth to cut the line anymore!
I'd make a mental note...but I am out of paper.
Mooncusser

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:52 am

I've had great success with Sufix, but with any braid and baitcasting reels, it's very important to spool the line very very tightly on the spool when you first load your reel. Because of it's low stretch the performance braids don't spool and tightly as nylon or dacron and are more likely to cut in to themselves and or backlash; but in my opinion the trade-offs are well worth it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:09 am

I've really come to prefer the braids. On a baitcaster and on a trolling rig I really appreciate the smaller diameter of the line. Never thought I'd prefer it on a spinning outfit, but it's my favorite line now. The only things I use mono for today is on my ultralight, and on my 30# saltwater rig. Tried the yellow high-vis line and really like it because I can see it, and so can anyone else on board the boat. I just use a mono leader with it. It's different, but it's worth learning to use.
Questor

Postby trailtrekker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Hello Big Game! Did you put some mono on the spool first and then tie the braid to the mono with either a uni or blood knot? This will keep the braid from digging into the spool or spinning on it and I've found Powerpro to be gentler on the guides than Fire line. Also position the knot at the bottom of the spool so there isn't any interference in your casts. Tie a flourocarbon leader for clear water and mono for stained but remember flouro will sink and create a bow in the line when fishing top water and slack when a fish strikes is not a good thing, so adjust your presentation with line diameter to prevent this accordingly. Good luck, God Bless, catch fish! Trailtrekker
trailtrekker

Return to Freshwater Questions