pike and muskie fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

pike and muskie fishing

Postby Big Game Fisherman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 am

Larry,

I'm going up to Marcell Big Fork,Minnesota to do a little bit of pike,muskie,smallmouth,and perch fishing by my cabin. I know that you like to do a lot of muskie and smallmouth fishing. Could you give me some advice?(lure choice etc.) I have used BIG perch for muskie fishing and would like to know what live bait would you use? One last thing, would you use a Quick strike rig for the live bait? (I'm WORRIED that the trebles will hurt the fish)

Thanks,

BGF (BIG GAME FISHERMAN)
Big Game Fisherman

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:59 am

hi BGF
That's a great area. My uncle, one-eyed Jim, made a living up there as a pulp cutter. (That's how he lost his eye!)
See if you can get ahold of the River2Sea Yabbie. It's a crayfish type bait that's positively lethal on smallmouth. The two larger sizes are best.
In line spinners like vibrax and mepps are always good (size 2)
Tiny Torpedos and Skitter props are good topwater choices.
For muskies try Cowgirl Bucktails, Jackpots, small reef hawgs or piglet and a prop bait like a rumbler.
I would suggest not using live perch because it's totally illegal in minnesota. Suckers will work fine. I suggest a quick strike rig or some kind, or if you can get big enough suckers you can actually let the fish swallow them and catch them USING NO HOOK AT ALL!
Stick 27# leader wire though nostils and crimp. Let the fish eat the bait, get him to the boat and snatch him in the net. I like to let them chew for a minute, then ease them up and take a look. Lots of times I'll purposely pull it out of their mouths, twitch it a few times, and get to watch them bite it again. Sometimes they'll come back a half dozen times.
To release the fish, just give a yank on the wire, the sucker breaks free. Fish gets a free lunch with no holes poked in him, you get a great experience and nobody, but mr. sucker, is inconvenienced.
You might loose a few depending on cover,size of bait or fish, but it's surprising how few you loose if you're good with a net!
best,
L
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Big Game Fisherman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:08 pm

I had NO idea that using perch as live bait was illegal!!!!!! That is a really good idea about the sucker getting swallowed and reeling them right in!!! How on earth did you ever come up with that idea??? But won't the fish just regurgitate the sucker? That has happened to me in the past while bass fishing. They'll eat it, and start coughing up shiners everywhere!!!!! Speaking of shiners, do you have any thoughts of using shiners as live bait for smallmouth bass? I'm definately going to try that yabbie crawfish bait. (that'll save ALOT of money on live crawfish from the bait shop!!!!! Thanks for all the advice!!!!!!

BGF (BIG GAME FISHERMAN)
Big Game Fisherman

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:54 pm

When a musky or pike swallows a large sucker, say 3/4-2 pounds, and it's tail is sticking out of the throat, even with a vise grip you can't pull it out of it's mouth.
Bass generally don't eat things as large in relation to their bodies as an esox.
How did I think of it? I cant' tell you how I think of anything. It just occurs.
I have two other methods as well that virtually assure a safely released fish but would take too many pages to explain.
I'm really not too concerned about catching them anymore, I just like to experience them.
Good luck, have fun in Big Fork. (Be sure to fish the little fork for smallies)
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions