muskie question for Mr. D...or anyone else who may know...

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

muskie question for Mr. D...or anyone else who may know...

Postby blackie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:50 pm

I've been fishing for muskies as a way to pass the summer, this is my first year throwing for them and I have had really suprisingly good success. My question is what do you do when you get a follow, I've tried switching lures but what do you do when you go through the box and nothing brings the fish back up?
Some days, it's a fish eat fish kind of world...
blackie

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:09 am

Hi B
Sometimes the more stuff you show them, the poorer you odds become for the next visit.
Lots depends on what I was tossing, or had tossed prior that the fish didn't react to.
Main thing to "read" the fish. Just how hot is it? Was it closing or fading? Under or behind the lure. How far? I might switch speed, color, or size of same bait. Might switch angle of presentation radically. Might change entirely.
Might wait and come back later. Might sneak in from 100 yards away or more or pole quietly along shore in two feet of water until I get within range start casting.
I've got no hard fast rules when it comes to that kind of thing. Play it by instinct.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby blackie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks for the reply Mr. D. I'll keep what you said in mind next time it happens. It seems like from what you're saying it's probably better let the fish be until he's in a more agressive mood and not educate him with an army of different lures.

This particular time the fish followed from down deep and a few feet behind the lure. He followed a big floating rapala twice, but wouldn't look at the bucktail spinner my buddy was throwing. I tried different jerkbaits through the same hole hoping the change in color and size might get him but he didn't show up again. He was a pretty sizeable fish, maybe he just wants something more obnoxious than an 8" jerkbait.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply. I'll try to get him next time. Here is a photo of one I caught last week from the same stretch of water...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/n ... G38622.jpg
Some days, it's a fish eat fish kind of world...
blackie

Return to Freshwater Questions