European hawg-bodied pike?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

European hawg-bodied pike?

Postby Questor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Mr. Dahlberg:

Have you had occasion to fish the big-bodied pike of Europe? I seem to recall that Ireland was the big-fish country. What was your impression of the quality of the fishing?

Thanks.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 am

hi q,
I've fished them in Finland (Baltic sea fish) and in Russia (caspian) but not in Ireland. When in systems co-habited by salmon the locals often look at pike as nuisance fish and are sometimes purposely targeted by the death squad.
I believe you are correct about the largest documented specimen coming from Ireland. If my memory serves me, it was in the 90lb range and was procured with a pitchfork.
From my experience their behavior is identical to our pike.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

European Pike

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:30 am

In-Fisherman magazine-April/May 2007 issue lists the 20 biggest pike on earth (so Far). The largest weighed in at 67.3lbs and was caught in a gravel pit, Dannstadt, Germany in 1983. 8)
Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Pike

Postby blu1fin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:39 pm

One of those MONSTER European pike was recently caught in Italy. I don't have all the details at this stage but will post them when I do.

From the photos I have seen, the fish looks to be in excess of 50 pounds. The fish was released. Guessing it will pop up all over the web soon as being caught on Rainy Lake by someone's uncle's buddy who works with him at the plant in town. LOL
blu1fin

Return to Freshwater Questions