Clear water muskies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Clear water muskies

Postby gtaggart » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 am

Mr. Dahlberg,
We fish a very clear, deep Canadian lake for muskies in August. We generally fish main lake points adjacent to deep water along with main lake reefs. We have caught fish on bucktails and heavy spinnerbaits slow rolled. Most of our fish have come early and late in the day and along wind blown shorelines. I have not had much luck with other baits, however we fish bucktails the majority of the time. I feel like I'm missing out on other presentation that would work better. Do you have any suggestions on other tactics that we could try? Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Gabe
gtaggart

Re: Clear water muskies

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm

In clear water it's never a bad idea for someone in the boat to be tossing topwater. It's true any time of day but especially morning and evening. I'd also be messing with my go to's, mr whiggley and the large subsurface wideglide. Change angles..inside out, parallel,.don't get into a zombie rhythm in terms of speed, timing on jerk baits. The subject is really pretty broad and there are so many variables it would take hours to scratch the surface.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby gtaggart » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Thank you very much. Have you tried jigging for fish in deeper water off structure? This was one method I would like to try next time I fish that body of water.
gtaggart

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 am

Yes in fact I have. It used to be done pretty frequently by a group of musky guys I met years ago, most of whom I assume have passed away. They used an eel like plastic called a Reaper and fished it on an exposed hook penetrator type jig head.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Clear water muskies

Postby CharlesZex » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:42 am

I have people come in to my store all the time ph varies from 5.5-7.4. Its crazy just in the greenville are u wouldnt think the water would be that different.
CharlesZex

Return to Freshwater Questions