Ice Fishing and Smallmouth Bass???

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Ice Fishing and Smallmouth Bass???

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Larry, and of course all the rest, I have a question as I watch much of the US freeze up this winter. I know that Larry cut his teeth on SMB as a kid, working as a guide, etc., soooooo I got to thinking.

I have caught tons of Largemouth Bass through the ice, a large number of walleye, even my fair share of Channel Catfish, but ...... I don't ever remember catching a smallmouth bass, even in lakes where the smallmouth outnumber the largemouth 10 to one.

Is it me, is there a trick, kind of like Channel Cats, or are they just that difficult once the water gets hard?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Ice Fishing and Smallmouth Bass???

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I've never ice fished for them, but I've heard of the odd one being caught. just saw an article about it but didn't bother to read it!
it's an interesting question.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Ice Fishing and Smallmouth Bass???

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:57 am

I know you have done a lot of ice fishing in the past so obviously SMB are not found taking the "normal" offerings in the "normal" locations. LOL :P

If you remember the article, send me a hint and I will look it up. Unfortunately over time I have noticed a lot of well intentioned articles that are less then accurate. Still, it might be a good place to start.

In Utah we have a lot of SMB and in some lakes exclusively SMB over LMB because of the cooler water. SMB are not native, but are a welcome species by most fisherman. The problem is that in many lakes they are overpopulating. The state has very liberal limits on the smaller ones (and on Brown Trout and ......) but the C&R philosophy that has done so much good in the US has backfired in some cases. I guess Al Linder has it right on keeping a meal and releasing what you don't need on species where it is legal to do so.

In my case, I just found it interesting that I have never even lucked into one. I doubt I would find myself concentrating on them when I have so many other species to catch, but I figure if there is something to learn, it will apply to other species, sooner or later.

Thanks as always,
AKA
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions