fly fishing?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

fly fishing?

Postby cj8_goodroe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi Larry, my name is CJ and I'm 8 years old I started fly fishing when i was 6 and I tie my own flies instead of buying them. My dad says I'm really good at fly fishing and I do catch fish every time we go. But I still get frustrated cause i cant always cast perfect or catch as many fish as my dad. Any advice?
cj8_goodroe

Re: fly fishing?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Just keep practicing and fish as often as possible. the great thing about fly casting is that you can get lots of practice in your back yard. you want to control the loop. don't worry about distance. that will come when you can control the loop.
best regards,
Larry
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

fly fishing

Postby Novelladreab » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:44 pm

If you are a fly fisherman you know that not all days are like that . I am not as productive with fly rod as I am with spinning rod . I have been fly and spin fishing for 50 years . I find it harder to cover all the depths with a fly rod . when conditions are right it is a lot of fun .
Novelladreab

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Amen, I could not have said it better myself!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 am

I find it fantastic that kids like CJ are fishing and trying new techniques. Applause to his father for having him learn to cast and tie his own flies. We need more of this these days! At 59 yrs of age, I finally got the nerve to try fly fishing. Have spent countless hrs watching video and practicing casting at the local park. When not fishing, I Head to the local lake each weekend to practice the fly casting and casting monster GT poppers on heavy spinning equipment. If you do not have the opportunity to fish at a local lake, you still have the opportunity to improve and expand your fishing skills even in your backyard. Keep it up CJ and keep practicing all techniques, fly fishing, spin fishing, baitcasting, etc as am sure in the future you will use all of these. The main thing is to have fun and get outdoors!!
BEst of luck, doradokiller!! 8) 8)
Bob Daly

Postby Caja » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:21 pm

Caja

Return to Freshwater Questions