Simulated blood?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Simulated blood?

Postby Newriverpirate » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 pm

Does simulated blood and red hooks really work for freshwater lures and baits?
Newriverpirate

Re: Simulated blood?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:17 am

Has not made any diff for me!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Simulated blood?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:00 pm

I wanted to chime in on this one, after a great deal of thought. I hate to offer differing positions to my friend and idol. :oops: :oops: :oops:

OK, maybe just a little difference...... I have done a lot of fishing for Brown Trout, and I had a perfect opportunity in Washington State, for a lot of years, to tune in my presentations. On any given day, but usually very seldom, various and subtle changes could make a big difference. Yes, on SOME DAYS red hooks or a bit of "simulated blood" would improve catch rates. But, the question that cannot be answered is if the reason had anything to do with "blood". I have painted hooks with white paint, green paint, even orange paint, and on some days they would be an improvement over black hooks as well. Very very seldom did red reduce catch rates while much more often other hook colors would have a negative impact. I have ideas about clear hooks, but ....... I am not that good at creating new materials. LOL

I think the thing that I would like to point out is that the addition of a color CAN make a big difference, but calling it simulated blood is a stretch. Also, one other thing is that red is a color that is absorbed and lost quickly in water. In CLEAR water, red will not show up at much more then 10 feet deep. In muddy water it is lost in the first few inches. At that point, the hook would look like any other hook, black. With that in mind, I believe, based on my experience, that simulated blood will seldom reduce catch rates, but it can, on specific days, increase catch rates.

The last thing I want to say is that while I am certain that "simulated blood" can, in some specific conditions, help, I am not willing to pay the extra for red hooks on all of my lures, nor would I put blood colors on all of my lures. I can field modify the lures if necessary and the improvement that I have seen just does not happen that often.

Some final information. On the specific body of water I fished, many days two of use would C&R up to 40+ Brown Trout, ranging from 16" to up to 26". My best two are a 17.5 pound brown caught at night on a buzz bait while probing for LMB, and a 11.6 pound brown caught on a jerk bait. I was blessed to have fished this lake for over 10 years. It taught me a great deal. Nevertheless, my experiences on this special body of water may not be representative of every body of water and every species of fish. :idea:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions