Canadian Pike

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Canadian Pike

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:17 am

My extended family and I go to up to Ontario Canada every spring (late May/early June), we go way back on some logging roads about an hour south west of Dryden. Last year we had a pretty early and warm spring, air temps when we were up there were in the high 70s, so I'm guessing water temps were around the 60s. The water was a little warmer then we were used too, thus we had a hard time finding big (40+) pike. We Did catch a some mid to high 30s pike but not like we were used too. The water is really clear, and we did have blue bird skies, and there's not a whole lot of weed cover except in some of the bay's. This spring seems to be shaping up to be another early and warm one, so my question is where would you begin to look for big pike? most lakes we go to get as deep as 60 to 100 feet, with an abundance of lake trout walleye and a good Tullibee population. Being the water is a little warm would you expect the larger pike to be moving deep, even though it's early in the year. If they are deep would you try trolling for them of maybe try jigging large plastics? I know there are 100s (100s) of variables to look at, I'm just trying to get a sense of weather we should be going deep for the larger pike instead of always thinking shallow early in the year? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks J
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Re: Canadian Pike

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 am

I would check rock piles, extended points, saddles, narrows, deeper weed beds etc. between the spawning areas and the main lake basins. Also main breaklines adj to largest flats extending into main basins. Large soft plastics, glide baits, cranks, large spinner baits are all viable options.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ToothyCritterHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:11 am

Sounds good, So it sounds like you think they will be in post spawn transition to deeper water where they will be during summer?
May The Whiggs Be With You
ToothyCritterHunter

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:13 am

It's all weather dependent, but i'd say most likely.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions