Mille Lacs

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Mille Lacs

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Hey Larry: Just back from goo d walleye trip at my favorite lake in Danbury, WI. Heard news that Mille Lacs is closed for walleye fishing? What is going on over there? FYI my trip to La Zona next week has been postponed due to flood stage levels. Heading to Jurassic Lake Lodge instead.
Best, doradokiller
Bob Daly

Re: Mille Lacs

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Mille Lacs just might be the most classic, and perhaps tragic case of mismanagement in the history of modern fresh water fisheries. Just as a ship can only have one captain, a lake cannot be "managed" by two groups with opposing philosophies, especially when one group has neither the balls to handle it on an intra-state political basis, or any real legal negotiating power when it comes to the federal treaties.
Really a sad deal for everyone, especially the businesses on the lake.
best of luck and safe travels!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:39 pm

My favorite thing about Mille Lacs is that everyone is so focused on walleyes that a lot of really good fishing is largely ignored.
Questor

Mille Lacs

Postby CharlesZex » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm

AS I PONDER ABOUT GOING TO MINNESOTA FOR SOME WALLEYE FISHING, AT SATURDAYS BASS PRO SEMINAR, GARY PARSONS ELUDED TO A FISHERY PROBLEM AT THE FAMOUS MILLE LACS LAKE. HAS ANYONE HEARD MORE ABOUT THIS? THIS FISHERY DOES GET POUNDED ALOT AND WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS TRUE.
CharlesZex

Postby dahlberg » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:27 pm

The friends of mine that fish walleyes on Mille Lacs are still catching lots and lots. I'm sure there will be disagreements regarding regs as long as the fishery is "co managed" by both the state and the tribe. The unmanaged smallmouth population is still strong, but with pressure they are getting smarter.
As everyone knows the musky population is no longer what it once was, but there are still a mix of year classes and some super giants.
Cant always believe what you hear, especially from fishermen!
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions