top fly patterns for late summer pike in Canada?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

top fly patterns for late summer pike in Canada?

Postby tmolina » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Hello Larry-

First, I want to say thanks for all the great youtube videos. You're creativity and ingenuity is very inspiring.

I'm hoping to get some help with choosing a few "must have" patterns for later summer pike in Canadian waters. I have a trip planned for the last week of July, we'll be roughly in mid-Ontario. Most of the info I've seen on the web is for very early season pike in very shallow water, slow sinking sub-surface streamers and poppers seem to be the go-to patterns. I'm wondering if you recommend something else for later in the season, from what I can gather the fish will be in deeper weed flats this time of year..

This is my first trip to Canada, so want to be somewhat prepared without spending too much time on the vice.

thanks in advance,

-tom
tmolina

Re: top fly patterns for late summer pike in Canada?

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:22 pm

I've had good success on big fish on mega divers fished of full sinking lines and long leaders. Make long casts, let line sink, fly still on surface, make a long strip that make a bubble chain, keep making smooth slow strips with occasional short pause and quick short strips, keep stripping until hits bottom or stop and let rise back up a few feet, or when fly hits bottom, stop for a few seconds, then keep stripping until bottom contact try to maintain contact with out hanging up, retrieve all the way back. repeat in as many variations of speed and cadence as you can think of..

Also, mega divers in the late evening over deep cabbage. Good luck. Find large forage, you will find large pike.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions