stream run walleyes

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

stream run walleyes

Postby steelneal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Dear Larry the King!
It's 3 minutes shy of midnight here in North East Ohio. I just got back from checking a new spot for tailwater walleyes below a dam and i saw a few fish even though there are still cats ice-fishing the main lake. It's more of a snag infested stream than a river, mostly overlooked by fisherman in general let alone walleye guys as this body of water is mostly a bass and panfish spot. The walleyes are stocked and if anyone is making regular catches they are not bragging about it at the bait shop or local watering hole.. I was curious as to whether you had a favorite method or technique for walleye this early in shallow, stream like tailwater below an 800 acre reservoir.I'll be fishing from shore or wading or both, day or night doesn't matter.
Thanks for any advice you might offer.
All Hail The KIng!
Sincerely, Steel Neal
steelneal

Re: stream run walleyes

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:28 am

I'd start out with a three inch swim bait, and maybe go up to five inches. The big females bite the larger size very well. Short casts, swing the lure in the current with a very slow retrieve. Usually finding the right angle in relation to the current is the key to getting the lure to swing in the right place at the right depth.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Dear Larry The King,
Thanks!
All Hail The Larry!
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:10 pm

One of my favorites is the Bottom Walker. It runs very horizontal, even when sinking and is heavy for its' size. Swings real nice in current and you can control depth with your rod tip pretty effectively. I know I see lots of similar ones. I guess main things are weight to size (determines sink rate and also small sizes may or may not cast well or sink sufficiently), over all size, and color plus a good hook.
Send pics! X out background!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Dear Larry The King,
Bah...
ain't seeing enough fish to get excited about-yet. Scoping some new spots hoping for better numbers.
If i catch A walleye i'll let you know
Sincerely,
Steel Neal The Fish Whisperer
steelneal

Return to Freshwater Questions