Using a Snap on the line for Peacocks?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Using a Snap on the line for Peacocks?

Postby algaedoc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:20 pm

So nice show on peacocks and wide glide! Did I see you detach and use a snap to hook your leader to? When you switched the Mr. Whiggley for the wide glide. What snap poundage or type if any? And did you tie your 130 lb fluorocarbon directly to the wide glide? A snap would sure make it easier to change lures but only if they hold up!
algaedoc

Re: Using a Snap on the line for Peacocks?

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Since I was short a rod or two I had a goofy leader set up so I could switch to a live bait rig quickly. There are many good medium sized snaps these days that have evolved from saltwater salt water designs and will test in the 100 pound range. When ever I use a snap, it's what I choose!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Badger1992 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:29 pm

http://www.juninhopesca.com.br/produto/ ... ap-capella

I highly recommend the Brazillian snaps made by Grampu Capella- size G Amazonas works well. I caught a 20lb using it no problem, as have countless other peacock anglers. These are VERY strong stainless steel, individually made by hand. You need pliers to open/close them. I buy them from the above store, Juninhopesca in São Paulo, Brazil. They ship to USA, ask for Marianna, she's very helpful.
Badger1992

Postby puckfisher » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 am

Seems to be a widespread evolution away from wire(I like titanium leaders) to heavy fluorocarbon, even for toothy critters.The snap designs are so strong now, the leaders I use for pike and musky will surely hold peacocks. I still prefer to tie my lures directly to heavy braid for peacocks but with all the timber I hit when casting or fighting a bruiser, I've learned to retie frequently. I find it hard to feel or see weak braid.
puckfisher

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Also use those Capella snaps for golden dorado. By far the strongest I have seen. Might be going overboard however with peacocks because they are a pain to open and you really do not need a snap on choppers. 8)
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Return to Freshwater Questions