New to musky fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

New to musky fishing

Postby awychor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 am

I am new to musky fishing what in your opinion is the best way to learn more on the special techniques of the sport.
awychor

Re: New to musky fishing

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 am

Although there is no substitute for time on the water, the internet and some of the specialized musky sites can provide lots of great information that will shorten the learning curve. That being said, there's also lots of totally wrong info being given by people who really should know better! For example on Saturday I heard a TV host make the claim that longer rods give an angler more leverage. Actually the OPPOSITE is true. Another made the claim that the new "super lines" have Zero stretch. In actuality it's more like 3% for the gel spun versions, and 1% for Kevlar. Seemingly small details, but it's fact versus fiction as far as I'm concerned! Not to mention a zero stretch line made of multiple fibers would likely be impossible to tie a reliable knot in due to 1-2-3 loading where it turns the corner at the attachment point.
Good luck, there are few fish more interesting than the muskie and sorting thru the voodoo is part of the challenge!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby thefinnishminnow » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Hey Larry

I noticed an interesting topic in your response to this. You mention things that people talk about in fishing vernacular that are not reminiscent of their physical definitions (other things i notice all the time is the "power" of a reel).

your "leverage" example got me to thinking that i am not even sure if i know what "leverage" means. do they mean mechanical advantage of the class 3 lever? or the angle which the tip of the rod forms with the mouth of the fish to a horizontal reference plane? or maybe torque? Basically my point is that people talk a lot about things that may mean different things to different people, or even have no meaning at all.

This is probably just a rant but i notice this stuff all the time that "experts" on the internet are propagate all sorts of dumb info that makes no sense with even a basic understanding of physics.
thefinnishminnow

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:44 am

Amen, brother! Also, the difference between cover and structure, or what exactly is a "reaction" bite????? Quack Quack Woof Woof. Just 'cause I quack like a duck doesn't make me a duck!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 pm

I also think that's what they see on the water they fish their experience on the fish they see...not necessarily in general...just because I catch a fish on the St. Louis River doesn't mean you can catch a fish the same way in Wisconsin or Illinois..just because larry caught a near record fish on the Mississippi River doesn't mean I'll catch the same thing where I am or where you are...that's why I like Larry's advice over anyone else...it's a general knowledgeable very educated answer after a lifetime of studying fish from around the world...I can't think of anyone with that kind of experience...Pete Maina and Jim Saric also give good advice because they also fish a lot of different water and give advice on particular waters they're on...but overall, I'll listen to larry first...it's always seemed more helpful and more experience behind the answers...we all appreciate your help, larry...
Gaebler20

Return to Freshwater Questions