Winter fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Winter fishing

Postby warpsyrhead » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Larry,
I know you get to spend a lot of our frigid winters in tropical areas, rather than on the ice. But you've had to have some on-ice fishing experiences growing up here in MN...

I don't want to assume you don't "like" ice fishing, or that you "have some ice-fishing experiences". Have you always been in the workshop working on something? Or were you "forced" to get cold before being able to fish those exotic locations?

Goopers,
Any ice fishermen out there? Or are you all in your workshops too?

Thanks,
Brian/warpsyrhead
warpsyrhead

Re: Winter fishing

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 am

the first fish I caught was thru the ice! I still remember it pretty clearly even though I was only 4 years old. I ice fished lots thru the early seventies and actually was a pioneer in using electronics and small "open water" type reels with custom made rods.
My first project with InFisherman was a video called Ice Fishing Secrets. I'm the first person I know who used early Magellan gps units to locate summer spots during winter season.
So yes, I have lots of ice fishing experience. And yes, I would much rather fish open water. However, I make and mess with lures 365 days of the year whenever I have an idea or inspiration. It's been that way since I can remember, but used to include more fly tying than I do these days.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions