Shimano Curado Variable Breaking System

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Shimano Curado Variable Breaking System

Postby Esox_Hunter » Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 pm

How do adjust the Variable Breaking system on the Curado. Which of the six brakes do you know to adjust and when.

Thanks Larry i know your busy slaying the coolest fish on earth!
Esox_Hunter

Postby dahlberg » Mon May 19, 2008 6:57 am

Hi EH
Nothing to it, just "click" the little brakes located radially off the left side of the spool, either in for off or out for on. You can use all or none depending on how much brake control you need.
Generally it's best to use the fewest you need to prevent backlash, which will of course vary depending on rod length, stiffness, lure weight and shape, how much force you put into the cast, and of course how good you are at "thumbing" the reel.
Experiment a little and you'll get the drift. Essentially, whether you backlash or not determines the best setting.
A light lure on a stiff rod, and casting into the wind would likely need the most blocks activated.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Shimano Curado Variable Breaking System

Postby 1bitten2shy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:53 pm

[quote="Esox_Hunter"]How do adjust the Variable Breaking system on the Curado. Which of the six brakes do you know to adjust and when.

Thanks Larry i know your busy slaying the coolest fish on earth![/quote]
TJ what's up?
1bitten2shy

Postby Bantam1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Typically its best to set the brakes evenly around the spool. I recommend an "I", "Y" or "X" pattern. This way you will have even braking. Normally 3-4 weights turned on (Y or X pattern) will provide adequate braking and allow for long casts with most lures. Some lures catch wind more than others such as a double buzz bait for example. These may require use of more braking or use of the heavier green colored weights, especially in high wind situations. Overall practice is going to make more difference than anything else. Start with more brakes on and work your way down. This will eliminate future frustration and lost time to picking out backlashes.
Bantam1

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:40 am

Hey Bantam,
Sure is nice having you here to do some pinch-hitting, and answer the tough ones I can't handle!
Thanks much!!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bantam1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Glad to help out Larry!
Bantam1

Return to Freshwater Questions