Venezuela peacocks

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Venezuela peacocks

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:22 pm

HI Larry: Hope Christmas went well. 8) Recently saw where some US fishermen went to the Casiquaire Watershed in Venezuela. The Pasiba and Pasomoni Rivers were some of the hottest for monster peacocks in the late 90s before it was closed to USA fishermen. Did you ever fish there plus have you heard of any restrictions being lifted by the Venezuela government? I know this is extremely dangerous drug cartel area so was wondering if it is opened. A bunch of friends I fish with now went there in the late 90s and did fair. Guess those rivers mentioned are extremely sensitive to rising water levels and do not hold lots of numbers.
Thanks doradokiller!
Bob Daly

Re: Venezuela peacocks

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:17 pm

I fished the pasimoni several times and it was a very good river for big fish. Actually not bad for numbers either. I would not go to Venezuela, period. There are lots of good spots for big pcocks in both brazil and colombia. Actually more good spots than people realize because often it's not where you go, it's what you do when you get there! Just got back from the Itapara and high water but did great by staying away from traditional approaches!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bill Crain » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:36 pm

AT THIS TIME I WOULD NOT GO TO EITHER VZ OR COLUMBIA.
SEE Click here: Colombia Travel Warning
I DON'T BELIEV EITHER IS SAFE AT THIS TIME. I HAVE BEEN TO VZ SEVERAL TIMES BUT NO MORE.
Bill Crain

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:47 am

Larry: Fished the Itapara and Agua Boa for years! Both are great places for big peacocks. Too bad the Aqua Boa went fly fishing only.
Good fishing, doradokiller! 8)
Bob Daly

Postby puckfisher » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:08 am

Agua Boa going fly only is a definite plus . I like to do both but this river is fishing very well now and it is a haven for fly fishers. River Plate Anglers has taken a similar approach with some of their waters and reserved them for fly only(River Marie). I was in Venezuela once and will never return. No problems but felt very unsafe.
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions