figure 8 whiggley

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

figure 8 whiggley

Postby TJones » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:18 am

Larry, just got a few of your whigglies... The action is awesome! super psyched about them.

Wondered if you have any tips about figure 8s with whiggley... Do you like to jerk/twitch/pause mix it up? Or go around more like a bucktail? Any tips are much appreciated!
TJones

Re: figure 8 whiggley

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:03 am

I usually try to get them to bite it by doing a triggering move or two of some kind when it's twenty feet short of the boat. when I get one coming that didn't bite yet, depending on how it's acting I may speed up, let it sink or do some cat and mouse take away twitches, but if it keeps coming I try to keep my tip low, reel within 18" of the lure, get it headed toward the bow or corner with rod tip lowering into the water and crouch down to bring it as deep as you can, and under your feet then sweep it out in a big arc. imagine you ate the center of a clock, your lure is coming from 12 o clock. bring lure as close to center and as deep as you can, then sweep shallow to 12 and back deep to 4 oclock. That's one way, and there are others, but what works best on one fish may not be the best option on the next. A variation of the above is a good call if you are ending each cast with a "blind" figure 8.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: figure 8 whiggley

Postby TJones » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Awesome, Larry...Thanks so much for the description! you the man :-)
TJones

Return to Freshwater Questions