Flouro Leader for Amazon Catfish

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Flouro Leader for Amazon Catfish

Postby Dan Hanon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Larry,

I'll be fishing the Xingu River this late-summer in Mato Grosso, Brazil. It's a multi-species trip, but I have a interest in catfish (redtail, piraiba, jau). I plan on using 130# Jerry Brown braid and a 18-20" 175# 49-strand stainless leader. Using a large Stella with 5'6" jigging rod. Should I use a fluorocarbon leader for abrasion resistance too? (I was thinking about a 6 foot section). Thanks, Dan
Dan Hanon

Re: Flouro Leader for Amazon Catfish

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey Dan, If I Were Fishing In Brazil I Wouln't Use A Floro Leader I'd Stick To Using Steel Leaders To Keep The Toothy Critters From Bitting My Line In Too
bassfighter1

Postby Dan Hanon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi Bassfighter,

I'm definitely using a short SS 49-strand leader to thwart piranha bite offs. I'm just wondering if I should use an additional segment of flouro since PE braid doesn't fair well among rocks and snags.
Dan Hanon

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I'd Ask Larry When He Gets Back On,I Would Love To Go To Brazil To Catch Monster Peacock Bass And Wolffish,If U Can Send Pics.
bassfighter1

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 am

in most cases a length of up to 10 feet of 200lb hard mono is a very good idea.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks Larry! I've been doing a little internet research, and there's a very high-quality Japanese monofilament called Momoi Hi-Catch. Apparently, it's rather hard with very good abrasion resistance, not so limp/pliable. It also tests much higher than its rating-I ordered some in 200 and 300#.
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:59 pm

It will serve you well. Momoi is great stuff.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 pm

I recently learned the Yucatan knot, or at least a modified version. Some of the GT guides in southern Oman have been using it with excellent results over the last 10 years, so I started experimenting. Basically, tie a very short Bimini in the main line braid, maybe 2 inches. Then wrap the mono leader 5 times up the braid, then 3 times back down (just to aid in redirecting the mono knot back down when you tighten). Only then do you tuck the mono tag end through the last loop of the Bimini. Moisten, seat the coils and pull very tight with braid pullers or such. The Bimini loop will then be tucked underneath the mono coils with a fairly low profile knot. Reportedly, its very reliable, but you need to seat and tighten it well. Some anglers are using this for a very short mono shock leader outside of the guides to maximize casting distance. I've heard it called a reverse Albright, although this version only passes through the braid loop at the end. Anyway, it looks and sounds promising. I'm still perfecting my FG knot.....
Dan Hanon

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 am

Dan: I have been using 300lbs mono leaders for the past few years for toothy critters in Argentina and Papua New Guinea. I have not had a problem whatsoever with them and prefer over wire.
Bob
Bob Daly

Postby Dan Hanon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 am

Bob, good to know. How long of a leader do you typically use? For GT, most guys use about a 10' section, although a few are using short ones about 4-5' to improve casting distance. The 200 is manageable through the guides, but Ive never used 300#. Does it cast ok?
Dan Hanon

Postby Bob Daly » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:18 am

Dan: For the dorado I use 12-18in 300 lbs mono leaders when casting and slightly longer when trolling. No problem attaching to 100lbs PowerPro. When making the leaders I like the strong SPRO power swivels and the muskie type stay-lok snaps. I also flare the tip of the mono coming through the crimp for more prevention and put shrink wrap over the crimps.
Bob 8)
Bob Daly

Return to Freshwater Questions