Walk The Dog

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Walk The Dog

Postby bassfighter1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey Larry, Trying To Make A Walk The Dog Lure But Not The Usual Spook Action But Kinda Like The Action Of The Wide Glide Would I Need To Put Weight In The Middle Of The Lure Or Elsewhere Thanks Again.
bassfighter1

Re: Walk The Dog

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Not Larry, but until he gets back on, maybe I can kinda help. :oops:

Remember that at the top right you have a search feature, and in this case I know Larry answered that question for us about two years ago. I have found a lot of great things in the history using the search. :idea: Still, sometimes there is sooooo much information it is hard to limit the hits with the right question. LOL

Now, my experience is that the center of balance should be just behind the center of the bait, to just before the center of the bait, depending the shape and overall intent of the glide bait. On my glide bait that I made, I found that I wanted it just before to get the widest glide. I thought that I had it all figured out so on the next bait, just thinner, I weighted it the same and it was all wrong. Oh well, I still have a lot to learn.

Hope this helps a little.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby bassfighter1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:11 am

Thanks AA,We Are Still Evolving As Lure Makers
bassfighter1

Postby puckfisher » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Don't feel bad, even Larry has had issues with these lures. I'm still waiting for a permanent fix to the surface giant wideglides.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 am

It's both a question of weight and balance. i.e., if I took a hunk of broomstick and dropped it in the water it would float level. If connected to a line and jerked it would likely do nothing but skid across the surface. Add weight to the rear of the balance point and it would begin to want to zig zag. the farther to the rear the weight is placed, the less will be needed to get a zig zag. Now, take the same broom stick and turn it on a lathe so the rear end is thinner than the front.
If you drop it in the water it will float tail down and quite likely will zig zag without additional weight.
I classifiy walk the dog lures into three categories, slappers (pencil shape heavily tail weighted) zig zaggers, and gliders. Most zara type baits fall somewhere in between slappers and gliders.
In terms of the surface wide glide, I have no problem weighting my protos and getting it to work perfectly, and in fact all my first protos and factory models worked fine. Then something in the assembly changed and have had a tough time getting it translated back where it should be! I'm told by the guys at River2Sea it's about ready. I will let you know when I get final samples that work.
BTW, on the glide part of walk the dog lures, it's all about getting a specific gravity that's close to 1.
Actually this is one of the easiest lure categories to make work. The toughest, by far imo, are high speed deep diving designs.
Getting back to walk the dog, also lots, and I mean LOTS depends on the guy working the lure. Length and strength of the pull, timing, creating or allowing slack at the right time, etc. It's one of those "it aint the bait, it's the jerk behind it" deals.

good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 am

Great post, Larry! I have no problem with working Zara Spooks, Hell Hounds or Ba- donk -a- donks. Maybe the jerks behind the the lures aren't your customers and fans but the guys making the lures.
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions