Opinions Wanted: 5 Greatest Fishing Books of All-Time

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Opinions Wanted: 5 Greatest Fishing Books of All-Time

Postby sptrix » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Looking for your opinions about the 5 Greatest Fishings Books ever written.

Thanks,

Steve
sptrix

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:52 am

Hi Steve,
Honestly, my favorite is one by Dr Seuss called, McElligot's Pool. It captures the essence of the existential elements involved in angling.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:25 pm

There are so many to choose from, but as a book on the pleasures of fishing, I can think of nothing better than The Philosophical Fisherman, by Harold F. Blaisdell. Another such pastoral book is the Well Tempered Angler, by Arnold Gingrich. I've read each of these at least 10 times.

The Compleat Surfcaster, believe it or not, is a really good book for the new saltwater fisherman, even if you don't want to fish the surf.

Saltwater Fly Fishing, by Lefty Kreh is a must-read for the aspiring saltwater fly fisherman.

Panfish, by Sternberg et. al, is a great book because it stands out as one of the few books that competently address the subject of panfishing.
Questor

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:01 pm

"Monofilament Hates People" written by Havilah Babcock. Countryboy humor mixed with Andy Rooney sarcasm, but every word is absolutely true. The truest statement being, there is no angling worth doing that you cant do with a baitcaster,5ft. rod and a topwater lure.
Henry Schmidt

Postby sptrix » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Thank you to all for the great responses. Time to hunt down the books and start reading. I can even share the Dr. Suess with my 2-year-old. It will go well with his Scooby-Doo pole.

Steve
sptrix

Return to Freshwater Questions