La Zona fly equipment recommendation

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

La Zona fly equipment recommendation

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Larry: Have some friends heading down a week after I am done at La Zona in April. They want to fly fish and I am definately not an expect on this topic. Can you please recommend rods/reels/line/backing/flies/ etc.... as I know you have fished golden dorado with flies.
Thanks Bob Daly
doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Re: La Zona fly equipment recommendation

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 am

hi bob
I would suggest #10, 9 foot rods. Both floating and sinking lines. (I prefer full sink because I think they cast better than heavy tips.)
60# nylon coated wire shock tippet 8"-12" on 6-9' foot leaders of what ever pound test tippet they are comfortable with. I'd start with 20#-30#.
Flies 6" to-how ever large you can cast, bright colors, flashabou, etc. fish as fast as possible, darting fast strips. Long casts. use current to accelerate fly when ever possible. leave fly in water after the "swing" when casting cross current and give it a few fast rips up stream before picking it up to cast again.
Tie flies on owner ssw or gamakatsu hooks like for tarpon. 4/0.
As with lures, speed and commotion are a plus, but the challenge is finding flies that fill the criteria for getting bit, that are also able to be cast as far as possible.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: La Zona fly equipment recommendation

Postby Bob Daly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks much Larry! 8)
Bob
Bob Daly

Return to Freshwater Questions