Bunny Flies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Bunny Flies

Postby Matt B » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:59 am

I have been tying some big bunny flies in hopes of getting a big pike on the fly rod...i have been told that with the larger flies I need to tie in a piece of heavy mono to hold up the tail end of the bait??? So it doesn't wrap around itself? Not sure how or why I would need to do that?

Any suggestions? Here is a sample of the flies I'm making and the rough size of them:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/ ... C01322.jpg
Matt B

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:45 am

hi matt,
Usually you don't need "really big" bunny flies. It also helps to tie them with a tapered strip that starts out 1/4-3/8" wide and tapers to a point. I've found they cast better and tangle less.
When I want to make a fly that's longer than the length you can make a rabbit strip with out it flapping too much in the breeze, I go to big fly fiber and/or long saddle hackles/flashabou in different forms.

The loop you're asking about is tied in facing backward, like a little short beaver tail, just under where the rabbit strip meets the hook.
It's purpose is to help keep a poorly tied rabbit strip fly from getting hook wrapped.

I suggest making some that pop and dive, some that wake just under the surface, some that are neutrally bouyant, and others that sink quickly in a head down fashion. I usually use flies from 5" to 10" but have seen pike caught on flies over 24" long!

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Matt B » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:40 am

Thanks Larry,

That makes more sense...i picked up both of Barry Reynolds books on fly fishing for pike, and thats helped a lot...i'm defintely a fly fishing newbie, but I got the bug right now to get one...i hate waiting for the ice to let out :roll:

I made a few divers, of course not sure how they are gonna dive, but hopefully they come out ok...most of flies are about 6" in length

I appreciate the info!

-Matt
Matt B

Return to Freshwater Questions