Prop baits and free-lining

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Prop baits and free-lining

Postby jomyke » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:39 pm

I attended your presentation at the Minneapolis Sportsman Show. Good stuff. Thanks. They ought to retire that projector though. :wink:

I have two questions. Both are relating to salt water/freshwater methodology crossover.

1.) On my honeymoon, I did some fishing in Fiji throwing big poppers for GT. Didn't get one but hooked up a toothy critter that they called a Red Bass. Anyway, the guy who was nice enough to take me out was talking about how tough it is to work those big poppers in the swells. I asked him if he ever mixed in prop baits. He said he couldn't find any that were wired through. I suggested he check out Musky websites. Would mixing in big prop baits be a viable alternative to poppers?

2.) I spent last week in Southwest Florida. A guide had us freelining Sardines with Floro leaders and circle hooks one day for Speckled Sea Trout, Snook and Redfish. We caught other stuff on it too. I loved the technique. I was wondering about how that system might translate to Walleye fishing (or Pike etc.) and what might be the best scenario to use it.
jomyke

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:40 pm

hi J
Sure, prop baits work fine. Usually in the salt it's a speed and distance thing. Poppers cast farther and don't twist on the retrieve or tangle much on the cast.
For snook and stuff under mangroves I've done great on prop baits.
Two to four small counter rotating aluminum buzz blades are one of my favorite sailfish teasers!
One of the best baits in the swells is something called a chisel plug used in South Africa. like a bar of soap that skims over the surface with a hole through it where you string your leader.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions