Muskies on the Fly

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Muskies on the Fly

Postby Fly4All » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi Larry,

Love your show!!!!! I was curious if you have any tips on what flies to use for muskies in MN lakes, what kind of action to give them and what the world record muskie is on the fly?

Thanks,

Fly4All
Fly4All

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:23 am

hi f
I'm sure there are jillions of different variations of flies that will catch muskies.
I've been catching muskies on flies since the 1960's and have caught many many dozens on flies since then. My best day was one in which I made 6 casts and caught 5 from 23-28lbs!
Other times it takes hours and hours of casting.
I've caught 99% on divers. 2/0-3/0 5" Furstrip for sight fishing. 8"+ mega diver for searching.
90% super fast sinking lines or wet tip/head.
Literally every cast 100'. Mostly quick retrieve, but key is to read the fish and tease into biting.
For colors, let the fish decide.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Fly4All » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks for the response Larry!

One more question for ya: On a follow what is the best technique with a fly to trigger the bite by the boat? Would a figure 8 or large circle work? Thanks!

Fly4All
Fly4All

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 02, 2008 5:55 am

hi F
I like a great big circle and all the while kind of twitching, sometimes going from a circle to a figure 8, or better yet all the way across the bow.
Just try not to slow down on the corner or turn it too tight!
WR on flies are all under 30#, most well under.
I use Mega diver and divers 99.99% of the time. Smaller stuff generally in early season, largest july mid-july on depending on type of water.
Long long casts. Pretty quick retrieve most of the time. Vary length of strip, and pauses.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions