Piraiba photo

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Piraiba photo

Postby catfishpat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:47 pm

Hey Larry,

I noticed that you now have a photo of a Piraiba on your main page. Is that the 300lb+ fish you were talking about? All I can say is wow~!

Could you explain what kind of terminal tackle you used to fish for these? Thanks a bunch! I can't wait until that episode airs!

-Patrick
catfishpat

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi Pat,
I was using a 10/0 owner super mutu hook, 49 strand 275# cable leader, 130 sufix, Trevala med action jigging rod, Torsa 30.
Found length/weight charts for lau lau in The Catfish Connection, a book about SA cats. It put this critter at 396lbs.
Now I know why we had so much trouble trying to lift it.
I agree with you about putting the heat on a big cat. Most anglers have no idea just how hard you can pull and get away with it if all your equipment and knots are up to snuff. Which marina are you?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Piraiba photo

Postby catfishpat » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi Larry,

I am a bit surprised by the 10/0 hook with such a big critter! I use 10/0 Owner SSW hooks for flatheads...I guess I'll never have to worry about having a Flathead straightening one out! What kind of bait were you using?

To answer your question, I am at Hub's Marina on the Sippi. It is located just below the dam at Hastings. If you are ever on the water and see a Winner 1850 Center Console out there that's me!

I will have to get that book you mention as I am extremely interested in learning more about the S.A Cats.

-Patrick
catfishpat

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:31 pm

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the note. it's been many years since I was in your neck of the woods. There's a big, big,big, difference between the ssw (which is a spectacular hook) and the Super Mutu. I think you could take the engine out of your car with a Super Mutu. The shank is about 3-4X the diameter of the ssw.
What's amazing is, the big cat was hooked in a crusher, and only penetrated as deep as the barb. Never even had him in the bend of the hook. I'm positive if I'd had any other hook I'd have straightened it.
I caught him on a fresh caught "Kubi" a deep water, non-vented bladder, critter that looks like a sheephead and lives in 40-60' slack water next to the deep, fast stuff.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Piraiba

Postby catfishpat » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi Larry,

Now, that's a hook! I don't think I'll be needing any Super Mutu's for the Cats around here unless I want to reel in sunken Cabin Cruisers with Cats hiding inside of them!

I agree that the SSW is a fantasic hook and I always make sure that I have a good supply on the boat at all times.

It has been my dream to fish for Piraiba ever since I knew they existed. Hopefully someday I will win employee of the year at my place of employment as we get $7,500 to travel to any destination in the world.

With that, I had better get back to work!

-Patrick
catfishpat

Postby Carlos » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:48 am

Hi Larry,

I've been tryng to catch a Piariba (Valenton or Plumita in spanish) for many years with something similar to the gear you´ve used.

Do you have more info about the "Kubi"? I tried a lot of small fish as bait for the Piariba, but I don't know that fish...

There is a "Leporinus" with gold and black stripes, but it inhabits lagoons at any deep.

Thanks,

Carlos.
Carlos

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi C,
THe fish we used for bait were from 1-3 pounds. We used them whole.
I'm not sure of the proper name or even the spelling of the local name,
"Kubi". They are described in another post.
Caught them on shrimp fished on a 2/0 hook and 2 oz weight in 50-60' of water. Sometimes on the bottom, sometimes suspended.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Carlos » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Larry,

Thanks, I'm going to try with some light tackle on the deepest pools to see what is there, something I didn't do.

The other thing I'm going to do (next week I'll go to the Orinoco!) is fish with live bait suspended with a balloon, as you did with Pirarucu, another thing I didn't tried yet for big fish. I'll tell you what happens!

I was determined to go there with just my fly fishing equipment, but last night I received your DVD set, and now I can't stop thinking about those big cats!

Best,

Carlos.
Carlos

Saw the show this weekend

Postby catfishpat10 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:30 am

Hey Larry,

I have been waiting patiently for the Lau Lau episode to air and finally saw it on Saturday. I was more excited to see that than the NHL finals and the Frozen 4 Hockey tournament combined! That's pretty huge coming from a Minnesota boy.

It must have been quite rush when that whale finally surfaced and you saw the sheer size of it. I was waiting for your rod to bust in half or for you to go overboard but thankfully those things didn't happen.

Also, thanks for the suggestions on my new fishing reel. I went ahead and ordered the Torium... Now to find that 100lb flathead that I am positive is swimming around within a few miles of my Marina.

-Patrick
catfishpat10

Amonzon Cats

Postby Tomahawk » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:09 pm

My hats off to you Larry. That was a great show. It was the first time I ever seen you really get your butt whipped by a fish. That fish was a monster and just think there probley bigger ones that that out there. I catch alot of big cats down here in NC, the Yadkin river chain. I know whats it's like getting whipped by a fish. Just wanted to say keep up the good shows. Most of the other fishing shows are a joke compared to yours. The Peacock bass shows are pretty good also. That would be a blast using those bigtop water baits.
Tomahawk

Return to Freshwater Questions