Creating a rig for a bulldawg type lure

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Creating a rig for a bulldawg type lure

Postby jplarson11 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Larry,
Ive recently started watching your videos on how to make your own lures, and I am very interested in doing so. My only question is how do I make the wire rigs that go in a Bulldawg/Medusa type lure. Ive been looking into getting a wire former to bend the rig to fit in a mold. I just cant seem to find any videos on making a rig like that with a weight on it. Just wondering if you have an easier approach. I would use a Sebile swim-bait rig like the video shows, only thing that only gives me one treble and I would like it to have two.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Josh Larson
jplarson11

Re: Creating a rig for a bulldawg type lure

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 am

One of Larry's first videos he made shows him simply bending wire on a board with some nails in it. If you visit this page ... http://makelure.com/HowTos.cfm ... and go to the very bottom ... Make a Lure with Larry Dahlberg, it walks you through bending the wire. It does not have to be sophisticated or complicated.

Once you have your wire through design, you can simply crimp weight onto the wire and insert it in your mold. You could also sculpt a basic shape with Sculpey, bake it to harden it, then mold it with Alumilite's Mold Putty, then pour lay your wire through design into your mold, and pour lead into it.

On Patrick Sebile's Swimbait Rig I used, you could also simply add a 2-3" wire with loops at both end to extend it backwards where you could attach another hook similar to how they do it smaller bulldawgs.

There are many ways to do this that are not complicated. The best part is, if the lure doesn't sink or work right with the amount of weight you've included, melt the Alumisol back down, remove your hardware, add or remove weight, and repour it.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby jplarson11 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try the bending the wires on a board. If I make a mold with the high strength 2 mold rubber am I able to pour lead into that?
jplarson11

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 am

yes, you can use hs2, but be sure to give yourself about a half inch wall thickness on the mold.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Go to bed Larry! Your post was at 3:32 am!!! Are you jet lagged again?
Mike - Alumilite

Postby MikeW87 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 pm

This is the rig that's used in one of the competitor's that copied the Bull Dawg: http://www.tackleindustries.com/image/o ... pg17p9.png

Using the rig like in the one in the video that Mike from Alumilite made will end up pulling out of the bait. This was the problem with the early generation bull dawgs.
MikeW87

Return to Freshwater Questions