Mitchell fishing combo

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Mitchell fishing combo

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:38 pm

I once had a Mitchell Copperhead combo rod and reel that was weighted at the end. It wasn't expensive, around $50, but for a spinning rod, it casted like a dream. It was a standard medium action spinning rod, 6 foot I think, that had a skinny carbon handle below the reel seat, and a weight at the end of the rod. I could put just a shiner on the hook and cast it a mile. It was really great when the fish were finicky and weight on the line wasn't an option. Unfortunately, my best friend at the time, being excited over catching a big largemouth, accidentally stepped on it and snapped it off below the second eye. Since then, I haven't been able to find a rod like it. Does anyone remember this rod, and does anyone know if there is still a manufacturer that produces anything like it?

Thanks,
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:36 am

hi brian,
I think you find lots of choices available that are even better than the one you remember! check out the shimano selection at your local store.
I agree that a counter balanced rod us often an improvement. You can get balancers at bass pro that will work on almost any rod. In fact, I designed them!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Larry,

I did look on the Bass Pro website not more than a day after I posted. And I did find what you were talking about. It was the one place I hadn't looked. I ended up buying a 6' 6" medium heavy action rod and the balancing system. It only came up to like $75 on sale. Problem is it is so popular that the items are on back order for 30 days. Can't wait to try it out this spring and summer.

Thanks
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Freshwater Questions