Tiger Fish in Zambia

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Tiger Fish in Zambia

Postby Bonefisher10 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 am

I have a friend who is serving in a mission in Zambia. He has requested some flies from me to use on them. A local guide lists large Deceivers and Clousers and suggested Large Bass Bugs. Have you fly fished for the Tiger fish and if so, any suggestions on flies? Ted :?:
Bonefisher10

Re: Tiger Fish in Zambia

Postby Bill Crain » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Bill Crain

Re: Tiger Fish in Zambia

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:59 am

yes, I've caught lots of them on flies. In fact the first time I fished for them I caught one that exceeded the existing world record by about 300%!
The secret to my success was to totally ignore everything that had been written about how to catch them on flies, all of which suggested ungainly, hard to cast, designs involving multiple hooks.
I had my best success with a Dahlberg diver tied on 2/0-4/0 gamakatsu and owner hooks because of their superior stiffness and built in sharpness.
I used a color with primarily pearl flashabou, white marabou, and grizzley hackle strips in the tail and a white deer hair diving head. I fished it on a sinking line with a 10 weight. steady, fast to med fast retrieves, with a pause and some erratic twitches and pulls when the fly swings downstream below the boat.
Look up Chiawa Camp. It's run by grant Cummings. their main office is in Lusaka.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions