Hooks

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Hooks

Postby puckfisher » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 am

Larry: Loved the Musky show. It was as much about hooks as Musky for me. Early in show, underwater shot of rigged sucker showed treble hooks everywhere with conventional rigging. I'd love to catch a big musky but refuse to do it that way. The mortality has to be upwards of 50% after letting a fish grab, run, turn, swallow then hookset and release with all that steel in him. Hope your show will change some thinking. I am also having second thoughts on large lures(Rapalas, etc.) with 3 sets of trebles. Many PEACOCK BASS HOOKED ON LARGE LURES GET HOOKS OUTSIDE THE MOUTH , IN EYE, UNDER GILL PLATE. I've experimented with taking hooks off but balance of lure and action suffers. Can't manufacturers start making a single rear hook (or even double hook) for our lures that are properly weighted? If a big fish slams and misses many times they'll come back and grab again...that's twice the fun and that's why I fish, the fight is secondary to me. A final note on buried hooks. Is it true that a swallowed hook will dissolve in the gut of a fish within 2 weeks? You rightly removed that exposed hook but it made me wonder about that age old principle of leaving a swallowed hook. Thanks. PS Please tell us all that you advertisement for Mr. Whiggly means they"re now in stock!
puckfisher

Re: Hooks

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 am

how or whether or not a hook decomposes depends on what it's made of, coated with and what species eats it. In any case, it's never healthy!
When it creates a nasty infection, or worse yet gets caught in the digestive system I'm sure the mortality is high.
actually, the multiple hook quick strike rigs don't usually do much harm if the angler strikes quickly enough.
I agree on the over hooked lures. I like one or two trebles at the most.
glad you enjoyed the show.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 am

And does Sea 2 Sea have Whigglies in stock?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Not yet.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions