Goin for Pike in Ontario in MAY

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Goin for Pike in Ontario in MAY

Postby a brickhead » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:54 pm

I live in Maryland and I'm heading to The Riddeau Canal in southern Ontario in mid-May. I've made this trip the past 2 years in a row, but at slightly different times. From all that I read of Northern Pike, a persons success can be increased buy knowing ,or trying to interpret, their "current" phase. (pre-spawn, post-spawn, pre summer, etc) How hung-up should I be trying to figure out the seasons or even the weather of this place that is so much further north than me that it's hard to gauge what seasonal pattern is currently happening?? Maybe I'm over thinking it?? :?
a brickhead

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:42 am

hi brick,
Who cares what season it is, the question is where exactly are they?!!
That time of year, at that latitude they'll still very temperature driven.
Find the warmest flats, bays, channels etc. if they're not right on them they'll be close and will be visiting most likely on a daily basis.
Be sure to have your temp gauge working!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby a brickhead » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks Larry.....ironicly enough, I was looking at one of the North American Fishing Club's books the other night.....what did I find??? An awsome piece YOU WROTE on finding pike locations after ice-out/early spring!!! I'm definitely gonna be glued to the temp sensor on the fishfinder.....I dunno about looking for "pike poop" :lol: Thanks for the info....May is coming fast and I'm getting ansey!!
a brickhead

ontario pik

Postby pikeguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Brick,
I have fished in southern ontario and northern NY a number of times for pike and that time of year I would start out in the bays especially as the water is warmed by the sun. Early in the morning you might want to try a little further. I have tried a bunch of places in Ontario, but by far the best has been the Missinaibi River up around the town of Mattice. It is about as far north in Ontario as you can drive but the fishing is so much better and you don't have the hassle of a fly in. We stay at Missinaibi Outfitters when we go up there. The owner Owen Korpela is an old school outdoorsman and he can find the fish much better than eany electronic device. There is a small lake up there we go to where you can catch a hundred pike per person. It really is a lot of fun watching them attack buzzbaits. The other good thing about the Missinaibi is that it is one of the few waters in the area that has smallmouth, and they are of good size as well.
Pikeguy
pikeguy

Postby a brickhead » Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Well...just got back from Whitefish Lake in Ontario. Had a GREAT time and used your advice Larry. Caught ALOT of pike, more than anyone else in my party I might add, but, I couldn't seem to get anything over 28 inches. Another guy we were with was fishing in another boat and he tied into a 32 incher....AND HE WAS FISHING FOR BASS!!! I dunno, maybe the big girls were in a different location. The warming bays and the points outside them towards deeper water were what was producing, just nothing bigger than 28 inches. Any thoughts??
a brickhead

Return to Freshwater Questions