Golden Dorado

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Golden Dorado

Postby tman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Hey Larry,

Just watched the episode in Argentina with the Golden Dorado again. Great episode!

I have 2 questions:

First, that giant it shows you with at the end of the episode... how heavy in your estimation? Earlier in the show you weighed one in the mid 30s and this one seemed quite a bit bigger than that.

Second, in your opinion, is the Golden Dorado the hardest hitting, hardest fighting freshwater fish as a package? From the footage, it would seem so. I know that you mentioned something to this effect during the episode.

How about the Payara? From what I've seen, they seem pretty formidable too.

I fish a lot for Northerns and Muskies. River muskies are pretty tough to beat, in my opinion, here in the Northeast but, as a package, I'd give the edge to those South American fish.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd
tman

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:20 am

hi todd

Not sure how big the last one was. The guy I was with, hector, had just weighed and registered a world record a few weeks earlier and the fish fish fit easily into his cradle device. The last fish in the episode was too big for the cradle, and hector felt it was the largest one he'd ever had in his boat. I'm sure it was in the 60 lb range.

The dorado has more juice than a payara. I'd compare them more to a tigerfish.

I grew up fishing river muskies, and believe me, there is no comparison.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby tman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:00 am

Interesting. 60 lb. Whewwwwww BIG fish for sure! Congrats on that. It was amazing how many kept getting off too!!!

I saw the Nile Perch episode recently where Tigerfish kept hitting while trolling along the weedline. Almost seemed like what happens to me while trolling the weedline for Northern Pike.

The large Tigerfish fight like a Dorado? Some of those big Wolf Fish seemed pretty tough but those Dorado seem to be SO explosive and seem to have SUCH stamina. Amazing, really.

So, in your opinion, "if you could only fish for one", what's your favorite freshwater fish and why?

I'm really curious because it seems that you and like the same things (i.e. big fish with lots of fight and preferably with teeth).
tman

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:45 pm

tman: If I had to chose, I would pick the dorados at La Zona. 8) Was there last April and landed 45,44, and 42 lbs dorado. Unbeliveable pulling power and jumping ability. Am heading back next week Apr 11. Heard the Uruguay River is the lowest since the dam was built. Had friends there last week and largest was 45lbs, but lots of action with the low water.

Good fishing, Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Postby tman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks for the info.

That's certainly some endorsement but after watching, I can't say that I'm surprised.

They really seem to have the striking capacity of a large pike or musky, the stamina of a salmon and the jumping abilities of a smallmouth or trout.

Almost like some saltwater fish when I recount how those rod tips where bouncing back and forth.

I guess the world record is around 70 lbs.:

http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/

Thanks Again,

Todd
tman

Postby Bionic » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Todd there is no comparing South America freshwater fish with
North American fish. Every fish down there has an attitude.
It is something that you have to experience at least once in your
life. I made my first trip 10 years ago and have been hooked since.
6 continents and 14 countries later I can't stop!!! It is a drug.
Once your hooked, it's for life. I think Bob will agree since I know
he's been around the block a time or two.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Return to Freshwater Questions