casting or spinning

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

casting or spinning

Postby troutbuster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:10 am

Hi there Larry,
Fishing casting rods is not very common in my area, and like to know a bit more about this method
Right now I'm used to do my lure fishing with a spinning rod next to the flyrod.
the fishing I do most now is jigging with spoons (1/2 - 2 oz) and soft baits (1/2 - 1 oz), and plugging (up to 1/2 or 3/4 oz)on both salt and freshwaters. (most walleye- bass and sea bass)
I found out in the past years that spinning reels especially don't like the jigging part, and seem to wear out pretty soon, especially bail bearings. (using a 4000 stradic), and wonder if a casting reel will last longer.
I like to give casting a try, but don't believe it will work out with lighter crankbaits(plugs), or does it? will I be able to cast any distance with such a light lure?
I can understand I won't be able to do all my fishing with just one rod, but can you recommend a rod for plugging and jigging in terms of casting weight length and action, for jigging and fishing plugs? what characteristics should I look for in such a rod?
I also like building my own rods, and generally like Gloomis rods, but think about trying a Graphite USA blank for a change, any experience with those? and how do you think about Fuji new concept guide placing, yes, or stick to the traditional placing?
thank you..
troutbuster

Postby troutbuster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:12 am

Jerry I mean two different rods one for jigging and one for plugging

thanks
troutbuster

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi TB,
Baitcasters come into their own, in my opinion, with lures from 3/8 oz and up.
Because of their more "direct" approach in regards to most design aspects, they are by nature more durable.
If you've spin fished all your life, it will take some getting used to, but is worth the effort.
I'd go with a med power, med action (not too fast) 7 footer for lighter lures and a 7 1/2' med heavy slightly faster action for lures over 3/4 oz or fishing in heavy cover.
One with a 200 size reel and the another a 300 or 400 depending on what you're doing and how much line you need.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby troutbuster » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:14 am

troutbuster

Postby Questor » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:39 pm

There are a couple of features I really like for casting for freshwater fish like bass and northerns:
1) Narrow spool
2) Thumb actuation that allows the reel to go into freespool by pressing a lever with the thumb.

I know others make reels like this, but my own is an Ambassadeur, just for reference.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions