Carp Bait

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Carp Bait

Postby CARP HUNTER 23 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:44 pm

I have always tried many different baits for carp but I just cant find a bait that seems to works, any advice
John
CARP HUNTER 23

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 am

Hi CH
there are as many concoctions for carp as there are carp fishermen.
Carp are very versitile and will adapt to eat what ever is abundant.
Most of the carpers I know will chum an area (usually canned corn) for a few days, then offer the carp some more of it.
I'd suggest you refer to some of the sites from the european carp fanatics for ideas.
Carp can also be spooky as heck if they've been pressured at all so you can't be too sneaky.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby fishing chick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Ever try boilies? It's the #1 bait in the world for serious carp fishermen.

Here's a good link:

www.carpanglersgroup.com
fishing chick

Postby Questor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Carp can be vexingly difficult to catch, but my all time favorite is a crayfish imitation wherever there are crayfish. I also like to use crawler halves. I've never been too consistent with classic carp baits like corn and dough baits. Far better for me has been a good natural bait based on available forage, with crawlers being the exception that has been useful in multiple places.
Questor

Hoosier carpers

Postby tforte40 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Check out this group in Central Indiana.

They will put you on the fish and show you the ropes.

www.indianacarptalk.invisionzone.com

Tony
Try multi-species matchfishing!
www.matchfishing.us
tforte40

Postby andy r » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:33 am

I think that the better baits ( just an opinion ) are sweeter baits. I mainly use dough style baits flavored with a veriaty of differant things, such as creamed corn, honey, strawberry or grape jelly, mullberries, so on and so forth. if you see them grazing on floating algi take note of it. try to get a bit on a hook and let it float down to them. personnaly i like bow-fishing them :twisted: it seemes a little mean but it also gives me practice for bow season. good luck

Andy
andy r

Carp Baits

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:22 am

Try this. Order a Pizza for dinner the day you plan on going fishing. Save the crust and leave plenty of sauce around the edge. Soft Crust stays on the hook longer, and the more grease and oil on the pizza, the better. Tie on a 3 way swivel. On the hook side string about 24 inches of line. drop about 12-16 inches of line and tie on a 3/4 to 2 ounce sinker depending on river currents. It's best to have a reel with a clicker, as you probably already know, the strikes can sometimes be rather aggressive. I usually like to use a circle hook. This method always works well for me and usually produces some nice sized cats too.

Best of luck.
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Freshwater Questions